Discover the Bruce County Public Library and uncover all of the information, knowledge, and entertainment resources to achieve your goals, foster your interests, and realize your dreams.
Bruce County Resident Memberships
- Library membership is free! To register for a library card, apply online or at your local branch with a piece of identification that shows your name and current home address (e.g. current driver’s license).
- Children 14 and under must have the signature of a parent or guardian to obtain a library card.
- With a library card, you can access and manage your account on our online catalogue. Sign in with your Library Card Number (14 digit number under the barcode on your library card) and PIN (4 digit number assigned when you received your new library card).
- Library card memberships expire every 2 years. Renewal requires verification of the member’s name, address, telephone number, and payment of all outstanding charges.
- If you are not a resident of Bruce County, you can still access all of our resources and services with a free membership.
- To register for a library card, apply online or at any of our 17 library branches with a piece of identification that shows your name and current home address (e.g. current driver’s license).
Computer & Wifi Services
- Public access computers are available at all 17 Bruce County Public Library branches.
- Free WiFi is available at all 17 library branches.
- For further information and details on acceptable computer and internet use, refer to the Bruce County Public Library’s Internet Services Policy.
Photocopying, Faxing, Printing & Scanning
- Photocopying services are available at all 17 library branches. The cost is $.25 cents per page. Only black and white photocopying is available.
- Faxing services are available at all 17 library branches.
- In Canada, the charge is $1.00 for the first page and $.50 cents for each subsequent page.
- International charges are $2.00 for the first page and $1.00 for each subsequent page.
- If you would like the library to receive faxes on your behalf, please contact your local branch so that they may advise you of the fax number and the estimated costs.
- Printing is available at all 17 library branches. The cost is $.25 cents per page. Only black and white printing is available.
- Scanning is available at no charge in most of our branches. Please contact your local branch to see if scanning is available.
Borrowing, Holds, & Renewals
Borrowing Most library items may be borrowed for 3 weeks with the following exceptions:
- 2 weeks for High Demand books
- 1 week for DVDs
- 1 week for magazines
- Reference material, local history materials and newspapers are not available to borrow.
- You may request items from any Bruce County Public Library, either Online, in person, or by phone.
- When your hold arrives at your local library, you will be notified by email or telephone.
- You may renew your library materials either online, in person, or by phone.
- Items can be renewed up to 5 times.
- You will not be able to renew an item if another patron has placed a request on the item.
Interlibrary Loan Services
Bruce County Public Library’s Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Service allows library members to borrow library materials not available in our system from another public libraries across Ontario. How do I Request an Item?
- The Interlibrary Loan Service is available to any Bruce County Library cardholder.
- Patrons may have up to five (5) Interlibrary Loan requests at one time.
- Items eligible for Interlibrary Loan include books and audio-visual materials over one year old. Magazines are not eligible.
- There is no guarantee that the Bruce County Public Library will be able to fill all Interlibrary Loan Requests.
- In order to submit a request, fill out and submit our online Interlibrary Loan Request Form or contact your local library.
What happens after I submit my Request?
- You will be notified by telephone or e-mail when the material is available for pickup at your designated branch library.
How long can I keep my Request(s)?
- Interlibrary Loans have a loan period of 2 weeks, and regular overdue charges apply to items returned late.
- Patrons have 7 days to pick up their Interlibrary Loan before it is returned to its lending library.
- Interlibrary Loans are not renewable.
Late Charges We encourage you to return your borrowed items when they are due. If items are returned late, the following charges are applied daily to each overdue item:
- $.25 per item per day for magazines, audiobooks, CDs, books to a maximum of $10.00 per item.
- $1.00 per item per day for DVDs to a maximum of $10.00 per item.
- $.25 per day per item for Interlibrary Loan items to a maximum of $10.00 per item.
- You will not be able to borrow library items or use public computers if charges reach a total of $10.00. Library privileges will be reinstated once charges are paid.
- To avoid late charges, register for pre-overdue email notifications. Pre-overdue notices are sent out via email 3 days before your materials are due.
- While your first Bruce County Public Library card is free, if your card is lost, replacement library cards are $3.00. However, cards that are damaged through normal wear and tear are free to replace.
Some of our branches have meeting room space available for rent. Please contact your local branch to inquire about availability or complete our Request Services Form.
- Commercial/Private: $10.00 per hour (minimum 1-hour booking)
- Non-profit groups, Bruce County Departments and Friends of the Library: No Charge
- Some meeting spaces are booked through the local municipality. For these spaces, room rates are determined by the municipality.
Please refer to our Operational – Meeting Rooms Policy for more information.
Exam Proctoring is available at select library locations. Please contact your local branch to inquire about availability or complete our Request Services Form.
- Exam proctoring is available for a fee of $20.00 per exam.
- The specific date, time and place of the exam must be confirmed at least two weeks in advance.
- Exams must be proctored during regular library hours of operation. Exams must be completed half an hour before the library closes.
- The examination package must be sent from the issuing institution directly to the library one week prior to the exam date.
- Staff are not able to sit with the student to supervise the exam and cannot guarantee a silent and disruption free environment.
- The library cannot accommodate online exams that require the downloading of specific software to its public computers.
- The student is responsible for any incidental or additional expenses such as courier fees or postage charges.
Request for Reconsideration Form
Download the Request for Reconsideration Form Your request will be forwarded to the Library Director/CEO, who will engage appropriate staff and management in a review of the item.
Me, You & a Book Too!
Through the “Me, You & a Book Too!” program, Bruce County Public Library offers FREE early literacy kits to all babies born within Bruce County. These kits contain a variety of resources to help parents encourage language development with their infants. What’s Inside?
- Free Bruce County Public Library Card
- Board Book
- Growth Chart
- Materials with easy & fun ideas for encouraging language development
Where can I get a Kit?
- Contact your local Bruce County Public Library branch
- Grey Bruce Public Health
- Keystone Child, Youth & Family Services – Cradlelink Program & Healthy Beginnings Program
- Midwives Grey Bruce
- Walkerton Family Birthing Centre
- Grey Bruce Regional Health Centre
- Aboriginal Healthy Babies Healthy Children – Saugeen First Nations
- Maternal Child Health Program – Chippewas of Nawash Health Centre
Thanks to our Funding Partners!
- Community Foundation Grey Bruce – Eva Leflar Foundation
- Sarah Badgley Literacy Fund for Rural Ontario Children
- Friends of Chesley Branch Library
- Friends of Wiarton Branch Library
- Rotary Club of Paisley
- Rotary Club of Walkerton
- Chesley Lawn Bowling Club
Become a Member
If you are a Bruce County Resident, you can become a member free of charge by completing a library card application at any of our 17 Branch Library locations.Find Out More